A Snakebite Story

Photo credit: @therealmikeposner This photo was taken from the video that inspired this post (below).

When I was little, I didn't know how challenging Life could be. I was so idealistic, and I didn't want to give up that way of looking at the world. No matter what.

But if you're human and reading this, then you know that Life hands each of us some challenges that we don't think we can ever overcome. You might have no idea how you will ever get over something or feel differently than you do in that moment.

Or, worse of all, you could feel like you don't even want to try.

However, I have been a stubborn optimist all my life. I remember being young and thinking, Life is so beautiful!! How could anyone think otherwise? Why are people so grouchy? Why does my Mom seem stressed all the time?

Ha ha.

Little do children know that they might feel the same way someday.

And not too soon after, I did.

But, still, I smiled. And I still held on to my philosophy that Life is beautiful and People are kind. I held it so tightly, I couldn't see another way of looking at it. Basically, I couldn't accept that some people are NOT kind. Or that some people are actually really, really cruel ⁠— to the point of seeming like Evil incarnate on this planet.

Nevertheless, I persisted in searching for the multicolored land in the Wizard of Oz. I kept introducing myself to new people. I tried to stay open. I shared my thoughts and stories with pretty much anyone I met. (Which I now realize, is not a good way to live either.)

And I tried to make other people feel good about themselves. I welcomed strangers into my circle. I brought the shy ones into the conversation. I didn't want anyone to feel left out. Because I knew what that felt like early on, and I didn't wish it on any other humans.

Fast forward.

I'm older now, and the cliches about changing your viewpoint are true. I've learned from my experiences, and I've tweaked my perspective a bit.

No, in fact, everyone is not kind. I still try to stay compassionate and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. They must have a reason for their anger, or resentment, or bitterness, and I still need to work at not taking it personally.

Hurricanes happen.

But no matter what someone has been through, it doesn't give them a right to be cruel.

I have come to fully believe that when people don't handle their own issues, and make every effort to heal from their painful experiences, then they end up hurting ⁠— not only themselves ⁠— but many people around them.

Let me say this another way.

You shit on other people if you don't resolve your own shit.

Intentionally or unintentionally. Naively or in a fully aware state of consciousness. Either way, if you are in denial over your issues, you will not make it easy for anyone around you.

I've done it. I know the times when I've hurt people; I know now it was because I hadn't resolved my own issues; and I still feel terrible about it today.

So, here's the video that inspired me to write this post.

It was made by a guy who was trying to handle his shit.

He cleaned up his act, and was getting healthy, and decided to walk the country. And lo and behold, he was bitten by a rattlesnake.

It almost killed him.

But after some time and a lot of PT, he learned to walk again. And then, he went back to the spot where the bite happened and finished his journey.

This beautiful story speaks to me because Life bit him, but instead of letting it bring him down, and those around him, he healed himself, and kept moving forward.

Life is good, and I'm still a stubborn optimist.

Sometimes people are capable of wonderful acts. And other times they hurt you because they haven't healed themselves.

I'm gonna try to be one of the former.

Thank you, @therealmikeposner, for this inspiration.


Comments

Popular Posts