What I Did with 500 Days

I made this art piece for a friend's music festival.

Almost 500 days ago, I became unemployed. It wasn't the first time I went through a job cut, but it was just as scary. I have a child, a mortgage, obligations, a strong desire to travel, you know - tons of reasons why a steady income is necessary.

But I made it through. This was much longer than the first time I was laid off from a job, (which only lasted 3 months) and you know what? It was actually the best year and a half of my LIFE. Repeat: The Best Time of My Life.

I learned so much. I explored my skills, built a website for myself, and created materials to promote my services. I did freelance work, catered, and took other misc jobs for income. I even taught college for a semester (something I had always wanted to try.) I cut expenses and used up all the supplies I had been hoarding. (How many bottles of shampoo does a person really need?) I purged my house and sold things that would be better used by other hands.

And I did lots of things that didn't earn me a penny. I volunteered at the food pantry and read books to elementary school children. I helped my local theater group. I shot and edited video for some musician friends. I helped people with misc errands during the day, just cuz I had the time. (You know where this is going - I didn't get a paycheck but was rewarded even more.)

I also had tons of fun. I reconnected with old friends and met new ones. I listened to music and watched performances of all kinds. I became a better cook. I acted and sang and played the drums. I meditated with monks. I walked new trails. I had tickle fights with my daughter. And I did travel - to Montreal and Bermuda, Cleveland, New York City, and North Carolina. And I wrote and wrote and my creative juices flowed. Like. Never. Before.

Of course, I cried, too. One day, I screamed so loudly, I scared my cat. I felt anger and bitterness, fear and anxiety. Some days, it was really hard to breathe and to keep my heart beating at a regular pace.


You know it's bad when you scream so loudly, you scare the cat.

But I found help. I talked with my therapist every week (that equates to 70 weeks of therapy, in case you are interested in the math.) And of course, friends came through. So many good folks offered me a hug or an ear, a joke or an introduction to someone for networking. I was treated to lunches, dinners, coffee, beer, sushi, and wine.

In short, I felt very supported by the universe and by tons of people in it.

And today, my long strange trip came to a wonderful end. I started a new full-time job at the SAME PLACE from which I was laid off nearly 16 months ago, in a different department, doing the work that I love (web, social, print, video, and events.)

So I wrote this post to answer the question: "What would you do with 500 days?" I couldn't have answered that question when this trip began. But I tell you what, looking back, I am very pleased with what I did with each of those 24-hour periods.

And I will continue to walk and write and sing and dance and travel and exercise and make yummy food and hang with friends. But I might appreciate my ability to do so just a little bit more.

PS Much gratitude to those of you who stuck by me during the ride.

-❤️ M.

-written July 25, 2017

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, and for your comments! To be notified of new posts, subscribe here: http://bit.ly/39JLWVs

Popular Posts